A surname of England and Ireland, ? from the Old English personal name Can(n)a, as in Cannington (Devon), or in Ireland also? for Ó Canáin, or as a synonym of (O) Cannon, Ó Canáin, Ir. cano - wolf-cub. (Guppy, MacLysaght). Canning was traced by Guppy in Hampshire, Warwickshire and Wiltshire, and by MacLysaght in Cos. Derry, Westmeath and Offaly.



At Caplin Bay: A list of the Names of all the Masters, Servants, and Dieters residing in the District of Ferryland, Winter of 1799 & Spring 1800: Thomas Cannon, - dieter of Michael Power.
At Brigus South: Employers, Fishermen, & Shoremen employed in the 1800 fishery in each of the Harbours &Ca. in the District of Ferryland: Thomas Cannon - crewmember of a boat belonging to Martin Power.
At Ferryland: Ferryland - District Court Actions: November 27, 1797 - Cannon, Thomas - Sued this person to recover passage money: Coryear, John
  Surrogate Court Records: November 8, 1820 - Samuel G. Carter sued the estate of Martin Cannon.
  Surrogate Court Records: April 30, 1821- Thomas Cannon sued William and Nicholas Molloy for malpractice because of the loss of his arm.
  Voter's List for Ferryland: 1840 - 1859 - Thomas Cannon.
At Caplin Bay: Ferryland Marriage Records: Nov. 11, 1892 - Alfred Canning (28) married Mary Swane (23). Witnesses: Thomas Swane and Charlotte Ann Swane.
  McAlpine's 1894 Directory: Alfred Canning, fisherman & William Canning, fisherman.
  McAlpine's 1898 Directory: Alfred Canning, fisherman.
  Newfoundland Census 1921: Alfred Canning of Ferryland b. Dec. 1865 & Mary Canning of Caplin Bay b. June 1864.
Family History: The Cannon/Canning family origins appear to have begun with Thomas Cannon who settled in Ferryland shortly after 1800. By the late 1820s, the Ferryland Court records mention several other male Cannons such as Martin, James, Matthew, and Michael. Unfortunately, there are no surviving parish baptism and marriage records to tell us any details of these individuals so we have no proof that their paternity can be traced to a common ancestor. While the surname was consistently recorded as Cannon for most of the nineteenth century, its spelling and pronunciation gradually became anglicized as Canning and it was recorded as such in various documents. Nonetheless, the surname was still pronounced as Cannon, by some people at Calvert, into the 1980s.
  While most of the surviving records refer to the presence of Cannon males at Ferryland and Aquaforte, the Cannon surname eventually found its way to Caplin Bay. Based on some old letters held by the Morry family, it appears that Alfred Canning, born at Ferryland, was 'taken in' (unofficially adopted) by Mrs. Eliza Morry (widow of Matthew Morry III) at Caplin Bay after his mother died. It is not known how old Alfred was when he came to Caplin Bay. He was raised as a Roman Catholic in the Church of England Morry household, Alfred eventually married Mary Swain, granddaughter of Robert Swain, one of the earliest settlers at Stone Island. Even after his marriage, he continued to live with Miss Lizzie Morry, (his adoptive sister) daughter of Matthew Morry III, in the old Morry family home known as Athlone Cottage. Alfred Canning, and later on his son Leonard, cared for Miss Morry, the last of that family at Calvert until she died in 1930 at the age of 85 years.
Present Status: The Canning surname died out in Calvert in the 1980s with the deaths of Leonard and Marcella (Clancy) Canning. They had no sons to carry on the name, however, they did have six daughters. There are many descendants of the Cannings at Calvert, throughout other parts of Newfoundland and Canada, and the U.S.A.

Home   Back to Family Surnames

Search Site

Click on the above link to do a general Google search of this website, or to use People Search or Families Search to find specific people within this website's database.

The information on this site may not be reproduced, in any form, for any purpose other than personal use.
© Kevin Reddigan (2002 - 2024)

Page Last Updated: Sunday, December 20, 2020 - 03:49:23 PM - EST