Clanc(e)y

shamrock.gif

CLANC(E)Y, surnames of Ireland, Mac Fhlannchaidh - ? ruddy warrior. (MacLysaght). Traced by MacLysaght in Cos. Clare and Leitrim.

barflag.gif

 

At Caplin Bay: Morry Papers: November 2, 1817, Patrick Clancy is recorded as selling extensive property on the south side of Caplin Bay to William and Benjamin Sweetland & Co.
  Voter's List for Caplin Bay: 1840, 1841, 1842, 1844, 1845, 1846, 1847, 1848, 1849, 1852, 1855 - Patrick Clancy, 1859 - John Clancy.
  Lovell's 1871 Directory - John Clancey, fisherman - Michael Clancey, fisherman.
  Crown Land Registry : #2834 - Chancey(sic), Michael - North Side of Caplin Bay and North side of road from Caplin Bay to Stone Island - 1869.
  Crown Land Registry : #3214 - Clancey, John - West of main line of road at Caplin Bay - 1871.
  Crown Land Registry : #3041 Clancey, Walter - 1 mile North West from Caplin Bay on main road - 1870.
  Crown Land Registry : #3283 Clancey, Walter 1 mile West of Rocky Pond Bridge, Caplin Bay - 1871.
  Southern District Land Deeds 1825 - 1888: November 1883 - James, Patrick, and Thomas Clancey bought land, on the north side of Caplin Bay, from Ellen Condon, widow of Kyran Condon.
  McAlpine's 1894 Directory: Walter Clancey, fisherman - James Clancey, fisherman.
  McAlpine's 1898 Directory: Walter Clancy, fisherman - James Clancy, fisherman; Anne Clancy, wid. John; Bridget Clancy, wid. Michael.
  McAlpine's 1904 Directory: Walter Clancy, fisherman - James Clancy, fisherman.
At Fermeuse: Fermeuse/Renews Marriage Records: Jan. 7 1842 - Michael Clancy of Capline Bay m. Margaret Hart of Fermeuse.
  Voter's List for Fermeuse: 1846, 1847 - Michael Clancy, Admiral's Cove, Fermeuse.
Family History: The Clancy family originally settled on the south side of Caplin Bay. It appears that Walter, John, and Michael Clancy were sons of Patrick. He also had four daughters, Margaret (m. John Chafe - Petty Harbour), Johannah (m. Thomas Boland - Caplin Bay), Anastasia (m. John Williams - Bay Bulls), and Mary (m. Terrence Brien - Aquaforte/Ferryland). All three son's married, but most of their offspring were daughters. Walter had one son, but it appears he moved to the US.

In the 1850s, Michael, who had married Margaret Hart and initially settled at Fermeuse, (and possibly had one daughter, Mary), moved back to Caplin Bay after Margaret's death. Michael later remarried, settled on the north side of Caplin Bay, and had three sons and a daughter,. His three sons, Patrick, Thomas and James later bought additional property on the north side in 1883 from Kyran Condon's widow, after he was lost at sea. However, Patrick emigrated to the USA, married and raised a family in Chicago, IL; Thomas was lost at sea, so James was the only son of Michael left at Caplin Bay. He married Mary Rossiter and they had two sons and four daughters, one of whom died as a child. This surname became extinct at Calvert in 1985. Tom and Mike Clancy, sons of James, never married, however there are many descendants of their sisters still living at Calvert, throughout Newfoundland and other parts of Canada, and the U.S.A.
Local Place Names: Clancy's Gullies. Small gullies along the road to Cape Broyle located on Crown Land property granted to Walter Clancy in 1871.

Home   Back to Family Surnames



Search Site
Click on the link above for a Google search of the entire website or a search for People or Families in the site database.

The information on this site may not be reproduced, in any form, for any purpose other than personal use.
© Kevin Reddigan (2002 - 2017)

Page Last Updated: Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 02:32:43 PM EST