Reddigan

shamrock.gif

? A variant, apparently not recorded elsewhere, of the surnames of Ireland (O) Redahan. (O) Redican, Ó Roideacháin. (MacLysaght). See also REARDIGAN. MacLysaght traced (O) Redahan in Co. Mayo, (O) Redican in Co. Clare.

barflag.gif

 

At Ferryland Surrogate Court Records: 1809 - Martin Redigan fined £3. 3. 0. for assaulting Walter Wallice and burning two of his shirts.
  Supreme Court Actions: October 26, 1830 - Thomas Flannagan vs. Richard Reddigan. Action to recover £9. 10. 8. Defendant admits sum is due.
  District Court Actions: February 6, 1832 - Reddigan, Michael assaulted: Congdon, Ann. Bound over to keep the peace for 12 months.
At Aquaforte: Misc. Roman Catholic & Methodist Marriage Records: November 11, 1825 - John Mullaly, of Co. Kilkenny m. Mary Readigan, of Co. Kilkenny. Witnesses: John Condon & Mary Walsh.
  Colonial Office Papers - CO. 194.74, Page 297: Sept. 1827 - Martin Readigan and other inhabitants of Aquaforte sign a petition against increased duties.
  Registry of Deeds - Southern District - Volume 1 Folio 47 - December 12, 1827 - Richard Reddigan of Caplin Bay sold a dwelling house, fishing flakes and stages at Brewin Cove, Aquaforte to Andrew Morrisson, surgeon, Ferryland for £51. 8. 9.
At St. John's: The Newfoundlander: November 21, 1827 - Melancholy Occurrence - A poor man, belonging to Caplin Bay, named MARTIN REARDIGAN, went into one of the stores of Messrs. JAMES STEWART & Co., for the purpose of purchasing some Molasses, and while in the act of receiving it from the Storekeeper, fell down and instantly expired. An inquest was immediately held before Mr. L.L. CHANCEY, coroner - Verdict, died by the visitation of God.
  Southern Shore Marriage Records: November 13, 1832 - Michael Reddigan (Not Stated) m. Bridget Cody - Fermeuse. Witnesses: John Cody & Catherine Gulip.
At Fermeuse: Voter's List for Fermeuse: 1840, 1841, 1842, 1845, 1846, 1847, 1849 - Michael Reddigan, Admiral's Cove.
At Caplin Bay: Royal Gazzette - September 20, 1829 - Redigan, Richard - Petitioned for a grant of land in Caplin Bay.
  Registry of Deeds - Southern District - Volume 3 - Folio 274: April 20, 1844 - James Walsh Sr. makes a "deed of gift" giving all his property at Caplin Bay to Richard Reddigan "the younger", who in return will look after James and his wife Ellen for the rest of their lives.
  Voter's List for Caplin Bay: 1840, 1841, 1845, 1846, 1847, 1849, 1852, 1855, 1859 - Richard Reddigan.
  Crown Lands Registry: #2830 - May 1, 1869 - Richard Reddigan Jr. granted land north side of road - Caplin Bay
  Crown Lands Registry: # 3216 - March 31, 1871, Richard Redigan, Sr. was granted a parcel of land at Caplin Bay. It is described as being on the south side of the road to Stone Island, bounded on the west by land claimed by Thomas Condon and on the east by land claimed by James Walsh.
  Lovell's 1871 Directory - Richard Redigan, fisherman.
  Last Will and Testament of Richard Reddigan: April 4, 1872 - dictated on his deathbed and witnessed by Andrew Keough and Thomas Condon. Richard left the waterfront and fishing room to his son Richard Reddigan and his cousin Martin Reddigan. He left the land, mentioned in the grant above, to Richard and John, eldest sons of his son Michael Reddigan, to be divided equally between them when they came of age. The land on the north side of the road, which had been granted under the name of Richard Redigan Jr., he left to his cousin Martin Reddigan. To his daughter Ellen Reddigan, he left his bed.
  Ferryland RC Marriages: January 14, 1875 - Caplin Bay - Martin Redigan m. Bridget Redigan. Witnesses: Matthew Ryan & Ellen Walsh. Priest: M.A. Clancy.
  McAlpine's 1894 Directory - John Redigan, fisherman; Michael Redigan, fisherman; Martin Redigan, fisherman.
  McAlpine's 1898 Directory - John Redigan, fisherman; Michael Redigan, of Michl, fisherman; Martin Redigan, fisherman; Michael Redigan, of Martin, fisherman.
  McAlpine's 1904 Directory - Martin Redigan, fisherman; Michael Redigan, fisherman, John Redigan, fisherman; Mich Redigan, of Mich, fisherman.
Family History: The Reddigans of Calvert descend from two branches of the same family, more distantly related until the intermarriage of two Reddigans in 1875. Martin Readigan, likely from Co. Kilkenny, Ireland, came to Newfoundland between 1800 and 1809 and settled in Aquaforte. He lived there until his death at St. John's in 1827. Three weeks after Martin's death, Richard Reddigan of Caplin Bay sold off the main fishing premises located at Aquaforte. Richard Reddigan was likely born in Co. Kilkenny, Ireland. Based on research, he lived at Aquaforte before he eventually married and moved to Caplin Bay. Richard married Catherine Evoy about 1826 and raised his family on land adjacent to his in-laws, James and Nelly (Evoy) Walsh. Six of their children are known - Richard, James, Michael, Ellen, Bridget and Mary Ann.
  In the 1830s (and maybe later), Richard Reddigan spent some time as the captain of a small schooner called the Castor. Based on information extracted from the Maritime History Archives, Memorial University of Newfoundland, Richard Redigan was the first captain of the Castor, a 41-ton two-masted schooner built at Chapple (sic) Arm, Trinity Bay in 1835. The listed original owners, Thomas Brooking, George Richard Robinson, and John Bingley Garland, were merchants of Newfoundland and Great Britain. Two years later, Samuel Blackler, a trader/dealer of Tors Cove, owned the Castor. Richard Redigan was still the captain, but there are no indications of how long he stayed in that position.
  In August of 1831, James Walsh Sr. signed over all of his property to his son, James Walsh, Jr. In January of 1833, James Jr. cancelled this 'Deed of Gift,' returning control of the property to his father. There was no explanation for this 'change of heart' at that time, but by December 18th of that same year, James Walsh Sr. had mortgaged this property to get a £60 mortgage from Rennie, Stuart &Co., of St. John's. His collateral for this mortgage was his entire plantation at Caplin Bay. In April 1844, another 'Deed of Gift' was made by James Walsh Sr., this time transferring this same property to Richard Reddigan, Jr. In return, Richard Reddigan Jr. agreed to provide for James and his wife, Ellen, for the rest of their lives. Richard 'the younger' was only about thirteen years old at that time. The document was witnessed at Ferryland by John Mullally, husband of the deceased Mary Readigan, formerly of Aquaforte. Nothing more is known of any challenges to this document, but it appears that James Walsh Sr. never rescinded it. However, all of the land and property described in the deed later reverted to James Walsh, Jr. and his descendants.
  In Feb 1832, Michael Reddigan surfaced in the Fermeuse area when he ran afoul of the local merchant's daughter and subsequently charged with assault. Later that year, he married Bridget Cody of Fermeuse. Except for the fact, his name was present in the Voter's Lists at Admiral's Cove, Fermeuse, in 1840 - 1849, there were no later mentions of Michael. It appears he had at least one son since, about 1869, the first mention of a Martin Reddigan at Caplin Bay appeared in some old court records.
  In April 1872, Richard Reddigan, Sr. of Caplin Bay, believing that he was on his deathbed, made his will. His will was found in the old family house at Calvert in the early 1980s. In his will, Richard left his fishing room to his son Michael and his land to Michael's eldest sons, Richard and John, "when they come of age." He left the "water side" to his son Richard and "his cousin Martin." The big surprise in the will is that he also gives the property on the north side of the road to the person he refers to as "my cousin Martin." He left his feather bed to his daughter Ellen who later married Joseph Power. There was no mention of his daughters, Mary Ann or Bridget, in his will. However, three years later, Bridget Reddigan married "cousin" Martin Reddigan, so the two Reddigan families, though distantly related before this time, became more closely related through this marriage. My conclusion was that Martin was the son of Michael and Bridget (Cody) Reddigan of Fermeuse. Bridget's sister, Mary Ann, moved to Nova Scotia about 1861, married there, and eventually immigrated to the United States in 1886, living out the rest of her life in Almeda, California.
Present Status: There are still several Reddigan families at Calvert. However, all bearing the surname are descendants of Martin and Bridget. There are descendants from both Reddigan families at Calvert, throughout other parts of Newfoundland, the rest of Canada, the U.S.A., and until recently, in Scotland.

Home   Back to Family Surnames



Search Site

Click on the above link to do a general Google search of this website, or to use People Search or Families Search to find specific people within this website's database.

The information on this site may not be reproduced, in any form, for any purpose other than personal use.
© Kevin Reddigan (2002 - 2024)

Page Last Updated: Friday, March 19, 2021 - 02:32:48 PM - EDT