Wade

shamrock.gif

A surname of England and Ireland from the Old English personal name Wada from wadan - to go, or Old German Wado, or from the English place name Wade (Suffolk), or from Old English (ge)wxd - (dweller by the ford. Reaney comments: "The persistence of the personal name may be due, in part, to the tale of Wade, [ a legendary hero], originally a sea-giant, dreaded and honoured by the coast tribes of the North Sea and Baltic." (Reaney, Cottle, MacLysaght). Traced by Guppy in Cheshire, Derbyshire, Durham, Norfolk, Northamptonshire, Suffolk and Yorkshire, by Spiegelhalter in Devon, and by MacLysaght in all provinces since the thirteenth century.

barflag.gif

 

At Ferryland: A list of names of all Masters, Servants, and Dieters residing in the District of Ferryland for the Winter of 1799 & Spring of 1800: John Wade & James Wade (dieters) employed by John Carney.
  Ferryland District Court Actions: March 8, 1803 - Meagher, ???: charged with assaulting: Wade, John.
  Ferryland District Surrogate Court Records: November 30, 1818 - Carter, Samuel and Co. sued: Wade, William.
  Ferryland Supreme Court Actions: November 3, 1830 - Slade (sic), William (and others): Charged with building a stage at Stone Island.
  Ferryland Supreme Court Actions: October 14, 1831 - Morrison, James sued: Slade (sic), William.
At Caplin Bay: Voter's List for Caplin Bay: 1840, 1841, 1842, 1844, 1845, 1846, 1847, 1849 - William Wade; 1855, 1859 - John Wade.
  Crown Land Registry: # 3119 - Wade, John: Stone Island, Caplin Bay - 1870
  Lovell's 1871 Directory: John Wade, farmer
Family History: Local oral tradition tends to identify the Wades as the first family to settle at Stone Island on the north-eastern headland of Caplin Bay. The Wade property was located on the west side of Stone Island River (aka Wade's River), which flows into Calvert bay. On November 3, 1830, in Ferryland Supreme Court, a William Slade was "charged with others in erecting a stage at Stone Island shooting place which interfered with other people's nets which have been set there for 40 years". This name, in all likelihood, should have been William Wade, since the "others" charged with him were settlers of Stone Island (Robert Swaine and Edward Kough) and the north side of Ferryland (Timothy Brien). The name is mentioned again as William Slade in 1831. I suspect that this name may be transcribed incorrectly because the old court records are very hard to read. The charges appear to have been laid by Matthew Morry and Co. and Benjamin Sweetland and Co., fishing merchants of English origin, whose fishing operations were based at the head of Caplin Bay.
  There are no surviving records that indicate William Wade's origin. In Newfoundland, the Wade surname generally appears to be of Irish origin, however the name could also be of English origin. William may have been born in Newfoundland, since there were Wades in the Conception Bay area as early as the 1770s. It is also possible that he was born in the Ferryland area, although the 1799/1800 List of Inhabitants does not show an established Wade family in that area. However, other documents show that there was a John Wade and a James Wade employed by John Carney at Ferryland in 1799/1800, and a John Wade was still in the area in 1803.
  William's name does not appear in the Caplin Bay Voter's list after 1849. His absence is explained in the St. John's newspaper, The Daily News, Aug 7, 1928, page 4. (Voice from the Past) which shows that a William Wade died March 10, 1852 at Stone Island. John Wade's name appears in 1855, and again in 1859. In Lovell's Directory of 1871, John is listed as a farmer at Caplin Bay. Local community lore concerning Johnny Wade tells of a man who most people considered very eccentric. Instead of following the traditional life of a fisherman, Johnny spent considerable time and effort clearing his piece of land still referred to as Wade's Meadow. Fisherman, going to the fishing grounds very early in the morning, told of seeing Johnny Wade sitting on the cliff above the cove, with his legs dangling over the edge, obviously resting from a hard night's work. Of course, the local population considered the fact that Johnny worked at night, and slept during the day, to be very strange indeed. In addition to this "eccentricity", people strongly doubted that one man alone was physically strong enough to move some of the large boulders that Johnny removed from his land. In a time, where a strong belief in "the fairies" was still very much a part of the local Irish culture, superstitious people speculated that Johnny just might have had some help from the "little people".
  According to the St. John's newspapers, Johnny Wade died March 19, 1884 (aged 60 years). Johnny's wife, Martha (whose maiden name is not known) was from Aquaforte and died in 1891. It seems Johnny and Martha had no sons, but they had two daughters, Mary and Catherine. Neither of them married. Mary Wade died in 1905 and her sister, Catherine (Kitty), the last of the Wade family and the last person to move from Stone Island, died in 1934.
Local Place Names: Wade's River & Wade's Cove. The small river from Stone Island Pond, and the cove into which it flows at the bottom of the cliff, are still often referred to as Wade's River, and Wade's Cove respectively.

Home   Back to Family Surnames



Search Site
Click on the link above for a Google search of the entire website or a search for People or Families in the site database.

The information on this site may not be reproduced, in any form, for any purpose other than personal use.
© Kevin Reddigan (2002 - 2017)

Page Last Updated: Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 02:33:04 PM EST