Family Names of Calvert (Caplin Bay), Newfoundland

- Family Tree Database -

 Non-denominational Cemetery, Ferryland, Ferryland District, Newfoundland, Canada

Latitude: 47.02242090587869, Longitude: -52.88990020751953
Non-denominational Cemetery

This old cemetery (aka the South Side Burial Ground) has been more recently dubbed as the Old Non-Denominational Cemetery. It is located in town of Ferryland on a slope overlooking the isthimus and roadway which leads to Ferryland Lighthouse. It was used as the common burial ground for all religions in this area in the 18th and 19th centuries. One of the earliest surviving headstones is dated 1770, but in 1749 a Ferryland Court record mentions this specific location. It was recorded that on September 8th of that year, John White was "granted land near Burrying [sic] Ground and path to Gays" [sic]. The Gaze, which rises steeply to an elevation of 73 meters (239 feet) overlooks Ferryland Harbour, The Downs, Ferryland Head, and the seaward entrances of Calvert to the north and Aquaforte to the south. It appears that this common burial ground was initally used by all settlements from Brigus South to Aquaforte. As can be seen from the photo, there are very few visible markers/headstones remaining; many gravesites being just marked with large flat stones.

In the late 1820s, the Church of England congregation erected St. Luke's Anglican Church, with its own cemetery close by, on the north side of Ferryland in the area that became known as Forge Hill. That cemetery (aka the North Side Burial Ground) was used exclusively for Protestants burials. Both of these cemeteries were consecrated in July 1827 by the Anglican Bishop of Nova Scotia on his visit to Newfoundland. It is not clear if all Anglican burials took place at the new cemetery after 1827 or if the Anglican congreation also continued to use the South Side Burial Ground. One of the most recent headstones in the Non-Denominational Cemetery is for a crew member of the Royal Navy submarine HMS P514. His submarine was destroyed by a Canadian minesweeper in a 1942 "friendly fire" incident off Cape Race. It is not known if the Royal Navy sailor was Anglican since he was buried in the Non-Denominational Cemetery instead of the Forge Hill Cemetery. Roman Catholics kept using the Non-Denominational Cemetery for their burials up until about 1870. A surviving headstone for that year likely indicates one of the last burials there for members of that faith. Holy Trinity Cemetery was consecrated about 1870 and thereafter became the new Roman Catholic cemetery for this area.


 Thumb Description Status Location Name (Died/Buried)
James Culliton
James Culliton
Located    James Culleton (d. 11 Dec 1813)
No Headstone/Marker - Ferryland -  Non-Denominational Cemetery
No Headstone/Marker - Ferryland - Non-Denominational Cemetery
Individuals for whom no headstone or marker is visible. 
Unmarked    James Clow (d. 16 Aug 1868)
Henry Coryear (d. 3 Jul 1845)
Catherine Evoy (d. Yes, date unknown)
Michael Evoy (d. Abt 1798)
Richard Furlong (d. 14 Apr 1849)
Johanna Malone (d. 1 May 1848)
O'Toole (d. 30 Jul 1847)
William Wade (d. 10 Mar 1852)
James Walsh (d. Abt 22 Mar 1849)
Richard Walsh (d. 1827)
Elenor [????] [Evoy] [Walsh] (d. Aft Apr 1844)
Patrick Condon<br>
Catherine (Walsh?) Condon
Patrick Condon
Catherine (Walsh?) Condon

Located    Catherine Walsh (d. 6 Jul 1847)
Patrick Condon (d. Mar 1840)
William Morrissey
William Morrissey
Located    William Morrissey (d. 26 Apr 1816)
William Saunders
William Saunders
Located    William Saunders (d. Apr 1770)

The information on this site may not be reproduced, in any form, for any purpose other than personal use.
© Kevin Reddigan (2002 - 2018)

Latest update per Individual or Family "LastModified" timestamp.